Saturday, July 28, 2012

Nora Got Ran Over by a Reindeer

Chris and I live in a very...umm...interesting neighborhood. And interesting works for us. We always say it would be hard to live in a "normal neighborhood" with things like neighbors and no trains shaking the house off the foundation. We have had some abnormal things happen while living in our cute, little white house.
I guess I should explain the location of our house, but don't worry I am not going to give street names because I wouldn't want hoards of people knocking on our door demanding to see more pictures from our Horse, Architecture, and Beach Retreat, because 6 posts and a home video just wasn't quite enough.
We live down a road that most people, who live around us, don't realize is even there. We have one neighbor to the right of us and 5 on the other side of the street. Our backyard has a field behind it that is bordered by 2 storage unit companies.  It makes our backyard open while maintaining our privacy. It suits us perfectly!
The only thing that would make our little house more perfect is if we were located in a more rural area, that way my big, blue horse could be in my backyard and we would have less neighbors. Being smack dab in the middle of a city, not far from main street, imagine my suprise when I looked out my window to see what Chris was up to and I saw


This nice looking 2 point buck in our backyard. The  poor thing was so scared and frozen like a deer in the highlights...right? right? get it? Deer in the headlights? Oh yes so perfect, so so perfect, just humor me :). He had a couple of red marks on his side but he was too far away I couldn't see how bad he was hurt.
I immediately called my neighbor Vicki (who runs the storage units), so she can come over and help with the situation, because Chris wasn't so interested in all the excitement. We decided to call animal control and do you know what they told me? "Oh yes, I can send an officer right over to come and put the animal down."  What!? Are you kidding me? put it down? Not on my watch buddy. You want to shoot this scared little guy in front of my little girl, my good friend, Chris, who is paying no attention to the action, and me the lover of all things animal, even the creepy, crawly variety...minus earwings and monkeys, those disgusting animals don't count and should be thrust down to hell... just kidding...kind of.
So we decided to wait it out. He wandered around and found a little hidden alleyway between the storage units. Well, Vicki had to go to work and Chris had to continue putting around the yard and baby needed to play in her sandbox so we dispursed thinking the deer had leaped and bounded back to his little friends, who were waiting with open arms...antlers.
My parents came over about an hour later to see if the deer was still sipping lemonade on our backporch. Since he wasn't quenching his thirst, we decided to investigate his exscape route. My dad had the baby in his arms as we started into the field. Chris and I were pointing out to to my mom where the buck had been, as my dad and Nora were looking in the alleyway, which happened to be completely blocked by weeds and trees. There is no way anything could fit through it.
I heard some rustling and looked at the blocked alleyway, when out of no where a crazy huge, 2 point, armed and dangersous, antlered, killing machine popped out of the weeds where he had been lying in wait to attack (he coundn't get through and must have laid down to take a nap, he was tired after that lemonade).
Luckily my dad just had a go go gadget knee replacement, because he still had Nora in his arms, He jumped and tucked and rolled(not so much tucking and rolling as running and jumping sideways) out of the path of that deer. All the while our fearless guard dog proected us.
She didn't even look up. See her sitting there in her awesomely designed kennel?
That poor scared deer  ran through the field and hopefully to safety, with his girlfriend to live happily ever after.
We all feel really bad that we scared him away. If we thought he was still there, we would have let him be. But luckily we got a good look at his cuts as we were petting him, when he ran by, they looked like more of a carpet burn then anything.
You just never know what adventures the wacky Browns will get themselves into.



No comments: