Monday, July 18, 2011

Title Pending

I decided that I should do another weekly post because I am doing so good with "Terrific Crafting Tuesday" or whatever I called it. I can't keep these things straight and I'm way too lazy to look back at old posts.
I love to read and I read a lot, so I thought I could do a book review post. I probably could do a weekly review, but just like I don't intend on doing "Terrific Crafting Tuesday" every week, I fully intend on not doing a book review every week. :)
Of course I need a catchy name ideally with an alliteration...how about 'Media Monday?' I have a kindle and often read the fantastic free books on it.(If you have read one of the free books you would think that line is funny. But every once in a while you find a gem and all the classics are free so that is great!). So maybe it should be 'Kindle Konnection'...OK enough meaningless babble, we will call it 'Title Pending', Clever girl!
Last week I read the book "Canaries on the Rim: Living Down Wind in the West" written by Chip Ward. This book is great for so many reasons. First, it's written by Chris's neighbor while he was growing up. Chip Wards family is so amazing and the nicest people you will ever meet! They are like family to Chris's family and when I met them I instantly fell in love with all of them! Second, Chip talks about Chris's family in the book (page 39). Third, I love a good conspiracy theory and I love nature and want to protect it and my family. The list goes on and on about why I like this book.
'Canaries on the Rim' is about hazardous waste disposal, chemical weapons incineration, industrial pollution and nuclear waste storage. All of which is happening in our backyards (Chris was raised in Grantsville so it happened in his front yard :)). Chip is a story teller and has had many adventures, so the book is full of great stories as well as information that I think everyone needs to know.
It is a great book. I enjoyed reading it!

My favorite lines in the book:
"Be a smart frog and recognize the sick canary when you see it. Then jump!"
(page 148)
"When asked by worried Utahns why their Department of Environmental Quality has "failed" I reply that it hasn't. Utah's DEQ is the perfect political expression of the governor who appoints its director and legislature that sets its budget and gives its marching orders. While Kentucky legislative leaders from both parties stand together on their Capitol's steps and refuse incineration, Utah's legislators have remained silent" (page 186).

Final thoughts on the book: We all live downstream.

Books I want to read because I read this book: "Hope's Horizon: Three Visions For Healing The American Land" by Chip Ward.

No comments: